Curbside Trash & Recycling Collection
DPW will continue to pickup Christmas trees through January 17. Please place your tree at the nearest street corner if possible, or on the tree belt in front of your house. The tree must be free of lights and decorations.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
In August, 2018 the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection (MassDEP) announced a groundbreaking, statewide recycling education initiative to reduce contamination in recycling by asking residents to “do their part and recycle smart.”
The cornerstone of this initiative is a new website called RecycleSmartMA.org that features the “Smart Recycling Guide.” The website includes the “Recyclopedia” search tool*, where residents can search for hundreds of items (from paper bags to pizza boxes) to find out how to properly manage them.
*Although this tool quite useful, it is not 100% compatible with the Western Mass Recycling Program and what is currently acceptable at the Springfield MRF. Please feel free to confirm on the Springfield MRF website or with DPW at 567-3400
- Trash is collected weekly and must be placed curbside by 7:00AM on your scheduled collection day.
- All trash must be bagged.
- One 36 gallon barrel or bag of trash is allowed per household per week. A maximum of 40 pounds is allowed per household. Trash in excess of the first 36 gallon bag or barrel may be disposed of in blue Town approved trash bags available at local retail stores for $1.75 bag (sold in rolls of 5).
- Excess trash not in Town approved bags will not be picked up.
- The following items may not be included with curbside trash. They may be accepted at the Town's Recycling and Yard Waste Center. Fees may apply.
- Leaves and yard waste.
- CRTs (TVs, computer monitors)
- Demolition/construction materials
- Hazardous materials
- Recyclables are collected curbside on the same day as your trash. Paper and containers are collected on alternating weeks (refer to the calendar above).
- Recyclables must be placed curbside with your trash by 7:00AM.
- Recyclable material must be placed in recycling bins or clearly marked barrels. 14 gallon and 18 gallon bins are available at the DPW.
- There is no limit on the amount of recyclables that will be collected. Barrels/bins should not exceed 40 pounds each.
- The Town recycles the following curbside (SEE "What do I do with..." below for a more detailed list):
- Glass containers
- Metal cans
- 1-7 plastics
- Cardboard - no larger than 3' x 3' and should be broken down
- Trash that does not conform to regulations will be tagged and left curbside.
- Town trash collection will usually be delayed on day following Christmas, New Years Day, Thanksgiving, Memorial day, Fourth of July, and Labor Day (see calendar above for exact dates).
- For more information, please call the DPW at 567-3400.