For residents and local landscapers wishing to dispose of leaves, a site has been made available located in the meadows on West Road. For 2013, the West Road site will open on Monday, October 28, 2013. Recycling stickers will be required for leaf disposal and may be obtained at the Town Clerks office in the Town Hall. Maps will be available at the Town Hall showing the leaf disposal location and signs will be posted designating the area. Residents and landscapers will be directed to specific locations at the site. This leaf site will be open from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm seven days per week. This site is for leaves generated in Longmeadow only. Personnel will be at this site seven days per week. Leaves only are to be deposited at this site. No brush, stumps, or other yard trimmings are to be disposed of at the site. A dumpster will be available at the leaf disposal site for empty bags only. Residents are asked to empty all bags brought to the site.
Although the yard waste site at the recycling center will be closed during the week, on the last Saturday in October, residents with permits will be allowed to bring recyclables and brush to the site on Saturday’s 8:00 am to 3:00 pm. Materials must be in conformance with requirements as detailed in yard waste and recycling regulations. The hours for the Center will be Saturday’s 9am to noon January thru March.
Residents are advised that disposal of leaves will only be permitted at the authorized location. Any disposal in unauthorized areas is subject to a $300 fine.
Your cooperation in this effort is appreciated.
What You Need to Know, FAQs
(i.e., frequently asked questions)
- What is the leaf program?
Town of Longmeadow’s leaf program is a “fee-based” curbside (tree belt) bag collection pick up.
- How will this work?
Only special “Town of Longmeadow” bags containing leaves will be picked up from the tree belt.
- What is a special “Town of Longmeadow” leaf bag?
It is a 33 gallon, clear plastic bag with green “Town of Longmeadow” writing. No other bags will be picked up.
- Where do I purchase the leaf bags?
Town of Longmeadow leaf bags will be sold during normal business hours beginning October 1st at Brightwood Hardware Store, Council on Aging on Maple Road and the D.P.W. office on Pondside Road.
- How much do the leaf bags cost?
Leaf bags will be sold in packs of 10 @ $5.00/pack.
- What is the weight limit of the bags?
Bags can not exceed 40 pounds and must contain leaves only. Heavier bags or contaminated bags will not be picked up.
- When will the bags be picked up?
Bags will be picked up again from the tree belt by Allied Waste on Mondays each week beginning November 4th and continuing through December 2, 2013. Resident’s are asked to have the bagged leaves to the curb by 7am. This schedule is subject to change due to weather and work load.
- Where do I place my bag for pick up?
Place leaf bags on the tree belt, NOT IN THE STREET. In case of impending snowfall, keep the bags back to avoid them being plowed over.
- Are there any other options for leaf disposal?
(1) You may bring leaves to the Town’s designated leaf collection site on West Road beginning October 28, 2013. Leaves may be loose or in ANY bag. (Special town leaf bags are NOT required at this site). You must empty bags at the site. An annual Recycling Center sticker is required to use this site (stickers available at the Town Clerk’s Office in Town Hall 565-4103).
(2) You can contract with a landscaper to collect your leaves
(3) Call the Council on Aging at 565-4150 for a list of students willing to bag leaves for a fee.
For more info or if you have any questions or concerns, please call the DPW office at 567-3400.